[AT] [External] Re: Trailer Deck

Gunnells, Brad R brad-gunnells at uiowa.edu
Mon May 18 06:59:14 PDT 2020

I consider myself (to use a phrase Farmer coined) frugal. So if you have an abundance of something available to you, I'd consider using it. It may not be as strong as oak, or last as long as chemically treated lumber, but that's not to say it won't "work".

If I recall this was an old pop-up camper frame. I don't recall what you were going to use it for/haul on it. As long as there are enough cross members to support the wood.

My mix of choice for the trailer decking is to take my old motor oil and mix it 50/50 with diesel. That way I can put it through a sprayer. The last time I re-decked my trailer I used common 2x12 lumber. Since the rot always occurs at the end where the boards are in a pocket I stood them on end for a week while in a plastic barrel of oil/diesel mix. That way it would soak well into the ends where I needed it most. Then I sprayed one side  and let it soak in. Then mounted that facing down on the trailer. Then came back and sprayed the topside. It's been about 6-7 years now and the deck is still solid. I spray it down every once in a while and it needs it again. Only downfall is these are finished boards so it will be a bit slick when wet after treatment.

Just another opinion.....

Brad