[AT] '49 A Wico Magneto

szabelski at wildblue.net szabelski at wildblue.net
Tue May 12 18:33:19 PDT 2020

Steve,

To me it sounds like the coil is good, but again I’m not totally familiar with how your coil generates the required energy since you need a rotating field to create a field in the coil. There should be an armature driven off the timing gear that generates that field, it should be mounted under the coil. With essentially two coils, I don’t quite understand how both coils work together, possibly actually a center tapped coil, with the center button being the center tap. But again why a center tapped coil? The bar you referenced just helps to generate a stronger field, just as in a transformer.

Rather than keep guessing on what might be your problem, and having you chasing this and that, I did a little searching on-line and found two items. One is the actual manual for your magneto, which I believe is what you already have. The other can be found through this link:

http://lindemanarchives.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Magneto-Restoration002.pdf

This document shows how to test your magneto without the use of the special tester. Take a look at it and see if it helps. I didn’t read through the whole thing, but it looks like it has potential to solve your problem.

Carl