[AT] Tractor tool box standard items.

Cecil Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Sun May 10 15:57:33 PDT 2020

In the old days of the MF 50 Diesel, the tool box was in the side of the
fender.  We had a 12in crescent wrench about 50 years old, a pair of
water pump pliers, a 10in pair of common pliers that Dad had bought at a
discount store, and one of those dog bone looking wrenches that had 4
hex sizes on each end.  It was a Power Kraft from Montgomery Wards way
back when.  I found it last year.  I noticed that tractor supply had a
pair of them with Metric and SAE and bought them last year.   Then there
was the odd bolts and hitch pins and hairpins and lynch pins in the
box.  When Plowing, we had a big John Deere Box wrench that had the size
of the plow coulter nuts and drawbar nuts to adjust the plow.  We found
the wrench in the field about 4 years after a custom operator had disked
the field with John Deere Equip.  By that time the poor guy had tried to
beat a train across the tracks and failed.  Dad said he left it for us
to remember him by...

I read a shop trick in Farm Journal as a kid about welding a 3/4 in bolt
into a pal pein hammer head to use as a hammer and as a hitch pin to
carry in the tool box.  The first lick I hit with it as a hammer nearly
broke my hand!!  I found a piece of rubber hose to put over the handle
and pulled it off when I needed the pin. I don't remember it getting
much use as either!!

I can't begin to count how many hammers we have planted in this
country.  You would think that with enough fertilizer they would sprout!!
Cecil