[AT] Tractor tool box standard items.

partzpicker partzpicker at yahoo.com
Sun May 10 09:42:31 PDT 2020

Tom, TRUE vice grips (the original ones) have Petersen Mfg, DeWitt, Neb. stamped on them.  Quality went down a little when Irwin bought the family out.Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy Phone.
-------- Original message --------From: toma at risingnet.net Date: 5/10/20  11:24 AM  (GMT-06:00) To: Antique Tractor Email Discussion Group <at at lists.antique-tractor.com> Subject: Re: [AT] Tractor tool box standard items. I did not believe in vicegrips for many years but would not be without them now, they have to be true irwins though. Water pump pliers can leave home. Tom

 -- Sent from myMail for Android
Sunday, 10 May 2020, 08:33AM -07:00 from Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com:

			During a lifetime of farming my father and I and later my son and I built and installed a lot of tool boxes on a lot of tractors. Many factory tool boxes were kind of a joke. The one in the left step/running board of the new Jubilee Ford was OK for a plow wrench and maybe a few lynch-pins or a hitch pin but it was prone to fill with dirt and wouldn't keep anything dry.They built a small box in front of the base of the dash on my VAC Case that if you want something out of it you first spray it with wasp killer then drag the mouse nest out of it...The one on the TO-20 up under the hood in front of the fuel tank isn't too bad but needs to be larger.Those things don't matter so much these days but I do need to add some decent boxes to the three or so small tractors I find useful for daily use now. Those 3 are my TO-20 Ferguson, an 8N Ford and the VAC Case.Being smaller tractors it can a little harder to fit in a more useful toolbox.I have a list of things I like to always have at hand in a tractor tool box. The first one is a decent sized ball peen hammer. Not one of those tiny tappy things but at least 16 oz. or larger. You never know when you might just feel the need to pound the hell out of something.  :-)  I prefer 2 adjustable wrenches, one about 8" to 10" and one at least 12" and heavy for things like hitch-balls etc. I also want a very sturdy straight screwdriver, not something to tighten your glasses frames but something that will survive using often as a small crowbar or once in a while to actually turn a big screw. I have also been buying a lot of those fairly decent but low cost screwdrivers that you pull out the shaft and can flip bits around to have 2 straight blades and 2 Phillips blades.I want something in the pliers family, a common pair is OK or water-pump pliers or Vise-Grips. I'm pretty flexible there, for cutting wire, working with cotter-pins etc. On Vise-Grips see also "pounding the hell out of something" above.A place where the factories failed was log chains, at least a 12' "tractor" chain. What kind of fool goes out to work on a farm (or on a group tractor drive) without a chain.For me a bonus is a spot for a pair of limb loppers, an axe and a box for rocks.And don't forget a drink holder.What did I miss?. -- -- Francis Robinsonaka "farmer"Central Indiana USArobinson46176 at gmail.com