[AT] spring tooth harrows

Richard Walker richardwalker at pobox.com
Mon May 4 22:57:07 PDT 2020

> For you "older" guys, why did you run spring tooth harrows? What
> implement replaced/obsoleted them? I've got one, haven't used it in 20
> years. Not sure it ever did anything but burn fuel.  When I was a
> teenager we would run a section harrow behind the offset disc harrow
> if we were trying to break up clods, level furrows, knock the dirt off
> roots, etc. Just wondering what good a spring tooth harrow was/is. Yes
> I know it will choke up in trashy ground, and pull hard if you set the
> teeth way down.

For many citrus groves in Southern CA spring tooths were a vital
implement.  They were widely used from the '30's up until the late
'50's, when non-cultivation practices employing permanent furrows and
herbicides sounded the death knell for tractor cultivation.

The repetitive cultivation cycle for citrus orchards was disk or harrow;
furrow; irrigate; let weeds grow for several weeks; disk or harrow;
furrow; irrigate, and repeat on up until the winter rains start.  The
first cultivation in spring was always done by disking, since winter
weeds could be 3' tall.  Subsequent weed growth between monthly
irrigations usually was low enough, a few inches, for springtoothing.
You could run a gear higher pulling a wider springtooth than a disk,
plus it left the surface much smoother.

Top photo a Caterpillar brochure from the '40's showing a typical citrus
grove disc and below a springtooth.  Bottom photo a 4' springtooth I
shopbuilt for my Cub LowBoy that I used many years for working up my
vegetable garden plot.

Bottom line - springtooths have very limited applications, but when you
hit all their requirements they are invaluable.  Lacking that, you'll
see them rusted and unused along fence rows.

- Richard

https://www.avg.com