[AT] haybine roller repair

szabelski at wildblue.net szabelski at wildblue.net
Mon May 4 19:28:46 PDT 2020

Being sole source to the US military, Raychem was making billions providing the adhesives as well as their line of shrink sleeve tubing, transitions, boots, etc. They were the only on that could meet all the military requirements and became the only certified supplier. They were the only certified supplier for a lot of our foreign military partners as well.

Through the years plenty of other suppliers kept developing their product lines to compete, but none could come close. We spent an awful lot of time testing their product lines. About 5 years ago they started to get close and some of them developed bits and pieces that we could use. One major requirement was that their products had to be fully comparable with the Raychem product line since 99% of what it would be used with was the Raychem product line

It’s a very costly process to become certified as a US military supplier, takes a lot of testing. Even after you make it, you have to re-certify every five years with more expensive testing (one reason why military hammers are so expensive). Anybody who was trying to dethrone Raychem didn’t want to waste all that effort and expense, so they would make their product lines available for non-military use. I’m sure that there are plenty of products out there that would work almost as well as the Raychem products, unless you’re planning on going to a war. You’d have to compare their material data sheets to see how similar their products would be.

Carl