[AT] IH #15 Hay Press

Henry Miller hank at millerfarm.com
Wed Mar 25 05:22:58 PDT 2020

I don't know, but my knowledge of how a hay press works doesn't see anything obvious as to why it would matter.

There is a possibility that the plunger angles will make the hay feed better in on direction, but most plungers run flat which rules this out.

There is a possibility that some gear is threaded on (or a retained on by a nut that could loosen with the wrong direction). I would expect to see keys and pins/set screws though, which again rules this out.

Some of the bearings might be worn in such a way that one direction things want to climb out of position. However you should re babbitt any bearing that is that bad.

That is all I can come up with. An inspection should be able to rule them out fast. Keep us informed. I've always wanted a hay press in my collection.

--
 Henry Miller
 hank at millerfarm.com