[AT] What was that salvage tractor?

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 1 07:39:02 PST 2020

When I read the first information my mind just assumed that they would have
hauled the salvage tractor on one of the trucks since about all of the
stuff I know of from before rubber tires had a top speed of about 4 MPH.
***** Rambling from this point on.
One of the reasons that my father traded the McCormick 10-20 for a car when
we moved to this farm was because it was so slow (4 MPH).
It had become a bit redundant on the farm as by then (1951)  it had become
tractor number 3, behind the 9N and the new Ferguson TO-20. Dad said that
he didn't want to pay someone to haul it, he didn't want to drive it on the
main highway (it was on rubber) or through town (about 3 miles of it) and
if he drove the secondary roads it would have been over 20 miles of driving
it at 4 MPH. It also didn't have much of a brake and lacked any turning
brakes.
That 10-20 was not a convenient tractor to use for odd jobs, no electric
start, slow (he was farming 3 other small farms all at least a mile away)
and it just wasn't the sort of thing you would choose to use to pull a
small trailer with or even carry a few bags of feed or seed.
By that time we had acquired a little Model A Ford truck (that I learned to
drive in) and it had taken over the primary odd chore duties. He had put it
on wider rubber and had a set of 16" knobbies on the back. It had a good
hitch and did surprisingly well at pulling wagons. Of course we didn't have
any big wagons yet. I said it pulled them well, I didn't say it stopped
them well...  :-)
And... he was needing to replace the car.  :-)
Thinking back as I wrote this it occurred to me that virtually no farmers I
knew about in those days had a way to haul a tractor... Only a handful even
had a way to haul implements like a disk etc. Pulling a trailing disk down
the roads was the worst. We did get a 3 point disk about then and finally
about 1954 a new Dunham wheel disk.
As I remember back I am constantly a little jolted by just how backward so
many little farms in this Central Indiana area were until the mid 1950's or
so... Of course many were tiny by today's scale. Many 50 acres or less, a
lot even 10 acres or less... Today they call those "lawns".  :-)

.

On Sun, Mar 1, 2020 at 7:21 AM Stephen Offiler <soffiler at gmail.com> wrote:

> You might want to check out:
>
> https://www.amazon.com/American-Road-Story-Transcontinental-Journey/dp/080506883X
>
> See also:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln_Highway
>
> SO
>
> On Sat, Feb 29, 2020 at 2:28 PM James Peck <jamesgpeck at hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>> https://www.washingtonpost.com/history/2019/07/07/driving-cross-country-was-crazy-idea-an-army-convoy-set-out-show-it-could-be-done/
>>
>> <https://www.washingtonpost.com/history/2019/07/07/driving-cross-country-was-crazy-idea-an-army-convoy-set-out-show-it-could-be-done/>
>> In 1919, Army convoy drove cross-country from Washington to San Francisco
>> - The Washington Post
>> <https://www.washingtonpost.com/history/2019/07/07/driving-cross-country-was-crazy-idea-an-army-convoy-set-out-show-it-could-be-done/>
>> In 1919, driving cross-country was a crazy idea. An Army convoy set out
>> to show it could be done. Dwight Eisenhower was along for the ride from
>> Washington to San Francisco.
>> www.washingtonpost.com

Francis Robinson
aka "farmer"