[AT] Exponential growth frustration

Brian VanDragt bvandragt at comcast.net
Sat Mar 28 19:47:17 PDT 2020

I like the forked spark plug terminals for their original look, and they work fine, but I have gotten zapped by one while reaching for the petcock.Brian
-------- Original message --------From: STEVE ALLEN <steveallen855 at centurytel.net> Date: 3/28/20  8:03 PM  (GMT-05:00) To: at at lists.antique-tractor.com Subject: [AT] Exponential growth frustration OK, so here I am trying to make use of a few hours of clear weather to install the new sediment bowl on the A.  Apparently, the outlet orifice is one sixe bigger than the one on the old casting (which has completely broken up into dozens of fragments).  Therefore, the fitting I have is too small.  The first attempt at finding a larger one--or an adaptor to go in the casting to accept the old fitting) has not been successful.  Just when I thought I had all the pieces together. . . . .On the positive side, I think I have rehabilitated the old battery enough to start with.  I got the carb stem threads cleaned up with a thread file (an opportunity to show my son another bit of useful knowledge), sprayed out the bowl and inlet well, and put back together with new gaskets.  The tank is emptied.  I really should pull it to clean it out, but not now.  My son has also gotten a number of bolts and nuts loosened up, and we've puzzled out the oil check fitting (much different than on the two-year-older A).  Also, we have figured out that the throttle lever on the pedestal works in exactly the opposite direction than the one on the other A, which is going to cause me NO end of headache trying to remember.  Can't imagine why they would make that kind of change.I looked inside the distributor cap, and we need to clean up the contacts, but I don't see any reason to doubt it will work.  One question:  what do you guys think of the old, fork plug wire ends?  They seem to be kinda exposed to me.The "original" Steve Allen_______________________________________________AT mailing listAT at lists.antique-tractor.comhttp://lists.antique-tractor.com/listinfo.cgi/at-antique-tractor.com