[AT] old farm equipment

Spencer Yost spencer at rdfarms.com
Thu Mar 12 14:56:24 PDT 2020

Interesting find on the farm today.   In the Osage Orange ticket there is a piece of metal half buried in the ground and it was visible. My wife finally decided it was an eye sore and it needed to come out. It was a big sheet of metal.  Took quite a bit of work to get it out since half of it was buried and was broken and twisted in places and the OO thorns were trying to get me.

When I pulled it out I was surprised to find an aluminum model number tag on it. I looked up the model number and found someone selling a manual online for it:   It’s a Sears and roebuck electric brooder.  The fan was still attached too.

The folks I bought the property from had a huge chicken coop I just finally tore down a year or two.   The previous owner - Sammy - remained a neighbor up at the top of the road.  In fact a picture or two of him and his Ford Jubilee shows up in the first edition of antique tractor Bible.  I heard a story from him once  that the coop was built while he was in in elementary school.   He died in 2004 or so at 77  So my guess is the brooder is from the mid to late 30s .

Spencer

Sent from my iPhone