[AT] OT - Any HVAC people on here

Mark Johnson markjohnson100 at centurylink.net
Thu Jun 25 05:25:40 PDT 2020

Brad:

I have heard it said many times that duct tape is really great for
almost everything except sealing ductwork.

My challenge here is that our basement is fully finished, so there's no
easy way to access the ducts if they *do* leak. However, there's no
ductwork running through unheated areas, so any losses there go into the
house anyway. HVAC is original to the house (just over 20 years old
now); air conditioning still seems to keep up OK. Have been
intermittently looking at replacing the unit (gas furnace) with a
high-efficiency air source heat pump, but with today's economic
uncertainty, I'm unwilling to throw any money at it right now (guessing
at $8-10k). 4 years ago an energy audit of the house scored 92/100 -
after replacement of some leaky windows, door gaskets, and more
insulation in the ceiling. Not bad for a then 16 year old tract
house...natural gas is 'cheap for now' but could easily skyrocket again.

Can't speak for anyone else, but I have great respect for craftsmanship
and pride in workmanship. I'll do crap work for myself in an emergency,
but if I'm paying the freight I want it done right - and I won't quibble
about price if the quality is there.

My $$ 1/50.

Mark J