[AT] OT - Any HVAC people on here

szabelski at wildblue.net szabelski at wildblue.net
Tue Jun 23 06:49:59 PDT 2020

Mike,

You run your air 3-4 months a year??? What part of Michigan do you live in. We live in Southeastern Michigan (near Marine City) and if we had air we would only run the it for maybe 2-3 weeks a year. That’s probably because we live near the water. (Actually, if we had air we’d probably run it a lot more. 😁).  For now we just open all the windows and doors, and close the drapes on the sunny side of the house. Two ceiling fans in the family room keep us mostly comfortable through the day.

You can go on line a get estimates for what a unit would cost for your area. You’ll see some variance in prices, but some of it depends on what manufacturer is being installed, how big the unit is, and some on what big name installer you’re hiring. Just do a search on something like .... AC installation, (county), Michigan.

Be careful about the guy who comes in and tells you you need to replace something like the heat exchanger because it’s cracked, that’s an old ploy to beef up their sale. Have you talked to the people who put in the furnace? Maybe they’ll cut you a deal as a repeat customer.

They’re going to run a natural gas line down our road sometime next month, so after 20+ years of propane, we’ll have to get the furnace converted back to natural gas. We’ll probably look at adding AC while it’s being done, so we’ll be in the same boat as you are now.

Good luck!

Carl