[AT] Non-Tractor Tractor Weekend

toma at risingnet.net toma at risingnet.net
Wed Jun 10 12:29:56 PDT 2020

On our ranch which is on the west coast about a mile from the ocean had
a barn my great grandfather built in the 1890's. In the early '20's a
tree fell on it and my grandfather replaced the original redwood "barn
shake" roof with USED corrugated tin. When I returned in the mid '50's
it had fallen into disrepair. Quite a few sheets had blown off and the
rest was severely rusted. I bought a stack of used tin at an auction for
$15 and was able to replace the missing sheets and fix some holes. The
barn was completely serviceable and kept my hay crops dry for many
years.

Since then I learned that 2 1/2" roofing was rolled from copper bearing
steel and dipped in a hot zinc bath for galvanizing. I always have kept
an eye out for a stack of tin for sale thinking to re-roof the barn or
build some new buildings. I was never able to find enough for my liking.
Some years ago I was talking to a contractor who had been involved in
demo-ing a lot of these old buildings and he said the reason you don't
see any is it is highly desired for scrap due to the copper and zinc
content. It is such a shame that all the roofing from all those old
buildings has gone for scrap.

In the year 2000 we put a a 24'x24' steel shop building. It is roofed
and sided with this ribbed painted "galvalume" they sell nowadays. I
don't get down there much anymore but the last time I was there I
noticed something nasty going on around the screws holding the roof on,
on one corner where gravel had washed against the siding there was some
nasty corrosion ie. holes.

I don't think that galvalume is going to hold up anywhere near as long
as that old tin. If you ever see any of the old stuff, buy it. The nail
holes are not really a problem and can be dealt with. If they are on top
of the corrugations they don't even leak much.

Tom Armstrong