[AT] Update for a Quiet List

szabelski at wildblue.net szabelski at wildblue.net
Wed Jun 3 06:32:56 PDT 2020

Steve

Using Loctite can become an issue. It comes in different colors that provide different clamping characteristics. Use the wrong one and it may take a torch to cut the screw out. What I would recommend is nail polish. All you have to do is gum up the thread so that the screw doesn’t turn due to vibration. I’m sure your wife has old an bottle that she’ll let you have.

Other than that, a small lock washer would also work. Also, take a good look at the threads on the screw to see if they’re worn. With the old stuff, you have no idea how many time they’ve been turned in and out, or how many times they’ve been over torqued and now have degrade threads. While working on my Cub I changed out the two screws that hold the rotor in place and the three screws that hold the magneto cover in place. They had worn slots and it was difficult to get a good bite with a screwdriver and ensure I tightened them properly.

Carl