[AT] Magnetos revisited

k7jdj at aol.com k7jdj at aol.com
Wed Jun 17 13:56:50 PDT 2020

I enjoyed the John Deere magneto tread a few days ago and then struggled with a magneto on my old Jennyy steam cleaner.It has set unused for several years in a shop out of the weather.  Got it out for a project and it would not light.  Cleaned points, checked cap and coil still no spark at ignitor (spark gap).  Pulled it off and tested it in the vice. Great spark put it back on steam cleaner no spark. :(Finally after a lot of wasted time I discovered the high tension lead (copper core spark plug wire) was shorting out.  No one even NAPA stocks copper core spark plug wire.  Had to order online.  In the mean time to get the Jenny working I used tie wraps and spiral cable loom to insulate current wire.  Success  :)
Gary
Renton, WA