[AT] Good tractor day, finally

Howard Pletcher hrpletch at gmail.com
Sun Jul 19 08:45:29 PDT 2020

I was not in the design area at International Trucks so I did not do that
work, but I had friends that were.  Generally a new vehicle starts with a
design that sets the size of an envelope the engineers have to work with.
Certain things like engines and radiators get their share of the space
first as they usually cannot be moved around in that envelope.  Then other
groups start placing their components in the space that's left with some
groups having more freedom to claim space than others--internal politics.
Those on the low end of the totem pole are sometimes scrambling to make
room for what has to be there.  No, they can't make the front end two
inches longer or add a bulge on the side of a fender to squeeze in what's
needed although sometimes early in the process that two inches might be
added when the original concept proves too impractical.  The engineers know
that serviceability may be lacking, but they have little say in the matter
at that point.

Howard