[AT] Subject: Re: 16 HP Onan twin

Andy Glines andyglines at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 19 15:11:04 PDT 2020

Message: 12
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2020 14:43:21 -0500
From: Phil Auten <pga2 at basicisp.net>
To: at at lists.antique-tractor.com
Subject: Re: [AT] 16 HP Onan twin

Andy, could you stake the seat into the block? I don't know much abvout
Onan engines, but it swwms to me that this would be an inexpensive fix
vs. a replacement engine. Also if these Onan engines are prone to this
failure, there is probably a fix available for the issue.

My 2?

Phil in TX

On 7/19/2020 2:27 PM, Andy Glines wrote:
> My Gravely 816 tractor has an Onan 2 cylinder engine (B43M-GA 016).?
> One of the exhaust valve seats is loose in the block causing that
> cylinder to have no compression.? It may be easier to use a different
> engine than to fix this one.? There are other engines available in the
> local ads.? Or course they are different model numbers even though
> they look the same as mine. Is there a good resource for me to
> determine the difference between them?

Thank for the answer Phil, the trick fixes like staking the seat into the block have already been tried and failed.  There are oversized seats available but I would have to tear the engine down to have the block machined for the new seat.  I may be able to switch engines easier and cheaper.  I wish I knew and easy way to machine the block for a new seat without a complete tear down.