[AT] another Cub engine question

Greg Hass ghass at m3isp.com
Tue Jul 7 10:31:16 PDT 2020

I have a "49" Cub and for 33 years we used an IH 64 combine with a Cub
power unit. I always wondered how the power unit could run that
combine.  Several years after we no longer had the combine I bought my
Cub; well, it always sounded different than the power unit. A while
later I came across the manual for the power unit and while looking
through it I saw it was listed as running at 2900 RPM as opposed  to
1800 RPM for the Cub which explains the power difference.  My question
is this; I talked to a guy a couple of towns over that dealt with only
old IH equipment. He seemed very up to date on Cubs and he claimed that
because of the higher RPM's the Cub power unit had a balanced crankshaft
as opposed to a standard crankshaft in a Cub tractor. Since then I have
always wondered if that is true and if someone on this list has the answer.
          Greg Hass