[AT] Cub

Dean Vinson dean at vinsonfarm.net
Fri Jul 3 07:29:20 PDT 2020

John, that dealer decal is what really holds my attention also.   Assuming I was in the market for a given type or model of tractor to begin with, the presence of something like that--on a machine that would be logistically easy for me to acquire, and that otherwise looks in pretty good shape--would really tip the scale for me.   I like the decal itself, and I find a lot of appeal in the sense of authenticity--especially if as you suggest it might be original paint, or at least a vintage dealer repaint.   I have a couple old tractors and use them often, keep them maintained and occasionally hose off the worst of the mud but don’t worry about showroom appearance, and part of the fun is in feeling a connection to the past.

So Steve O, the above is the primary driver in my sense that if it were me I’d snap that tractor up rather than hold out for one that would cost $300 less or whatever.   Over the span of time I’d quickly forget about the $300 but I’d pretty often either be glad to have the particular machine that appealed to me or would be kicking myself for letting it get away.

The above is also heavily influenced by my experience with my two Super Ms, the first one I’d bought back in the mid 90s but then sold and later regretted having sold, and some particular little details it had that I came to miss and appreciate more after the fact than I had while I’d owned the tractor.   After a dozen or so years of regret I eventually ran across another similar Super M--in very good condition and with those same particular little details--and way overpaid to get it.   Probably been 10 or 12 years now since I bought that second one, and I still have it, and have never once lost the tiniest bit of sleep over the money.

YMMV, and obviously a decal doesn’t create a need for a particular tractor that isn’t otherwise there.   I think, anyway.   I don’t really need a tractor of that size so if that one were for sale near me I probably wouldn’t go look at it.  Maybe.  Unless I was going to be driving past anyway.  Or just wanted to get out of the house for a while.  :)

Dean Vinson

Saint Paris, Ohio