[AT] driver convenience systems

James Peck jamesgpeck at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 26 13:03:32 PST 2020

I drove a vehicle with start/stop and it required a pretty heavy pedal pressure to activate it while stopping. I could usually stop the vehicle without stopping the engine. Maybe that would change with brake wear. I could frequently restart by just letting my foot off the brake.

Steve Offiler AT List member Mechanical Engineer (soffiler at gmail.com); Count me among the folk that don't like stop/start.  I have more stop signs than traffic lights on my commute, and not much traffic, so most of my stops are usually very brief, just to cover the law, if nothing is coming.  The system decides to shut off the engine at pretty much the same instant I am deciding to proceed.  Fortunately (for me) my car defaults to "Sport" mode on startup.  I can manually choose "Eco" mode which activates stop/start as well as changes shift points and throttle response; or I can go straight to stop/start but leave it in Sport.  I find it odd that the car doesn't remember what mode it was in when you shut down.  Fortunately the default is also my preferred mode.