[AT] driver convenience systems

Steve W. swilliams268 at frontier.com
Thu Jan 23 17:26:01 PST 2020

Dean Vinson wrote:
> I rented a car last month while visiting relatives in another state.
> Toyota Camry, I think, whatever the rental place considered a “full
> size” car.   With the headlight switch in Auto mode, it would
> automatically switch the high beams on and off depending on whether
> oncoming car headlights were visible.   Freaked me out when it first
> happened.   I watched attentively for a while and it worked fine, never
> left the high beams on when I would have switched them off.   But I
> stopped using Auto mode after that and just used the normal On setting
> and controlled the high beams manually… too much habit, muscle memory,
> and lingering distrust of the new system.
>

> As I think about it, maybe the auto bright/dim control isn’t a bad
> feature, since there are sure a bunch of morons out there who don’t
> think it’s important to switch to low beams when they’re **behind**
> another car.  Hopefully the technology provides that capability too…
>

> Dean Vinson
>
> Saint Paris, OH

Some of the features are nice to have but it's just one more thing to
break. Like all of the driver assist items you can get like lane
monitoring, automatic braking, "smart" cruise control and the rest.

There are a few recalls out now for ADAS problems, Ford because the
system cannot tell if the driver has their hands on the wheel so it may
or may not warn them that they need to act. 2019/2020 Mazda 3s being
recalled because the ADAS system likes to apply the emergency brakes
without any reason!

--
Steve W.