[AT] tractor hauler a pain to install headlights.

Steve W. swilliams268 at frontier.com
Tue Jan 21 07:10:03 PST 2020

Phil Auten wrote:

> I haven't checked my Ford Fusion, but then I just turn the lights on and
> never use the "auto" position on the switch. My F-150 does not have that
> option.
>
> Phil in TX

I think there is a bit of confusion in regards to the auto light
function and the DRLs.

Many DRL systems do not turn on all of the lights. They only activate
the headlamps at reduced output. There are some that turn on all the
lights but they are not the most common.

The automatic lights usually have a sensor on the dash that detects the
exterior light level and turns on all of the lights once the light is
below a set level, just as if a human turned the switch.

I have seen those get fooled though, usually in bad weather where the
light gets reflected back to the sensor by for or heavy rain or snow.
The backscatter is enough that it exceeds the threshold and the system
switches back to the DRLs.

--
Steve W.