[AT] OT Draft Exemption Exam

HERBERT METZ metz-h.b at comcast.net
Tue Jan 21 05:10:53 PST 2020

Yes, Spencer; our paths nearly crossed.
Summer, dark night of 1955 we were operating in Mediterranean with several other USS ships. For training purposes we occasionally operated at 'darken ship and radio silence'; we maneuvered by previously determined plans. I got wet when a wave splashed through my 6' high porthole window on the main deck. Next morning at breakfast I questioned "what happened", the only modest response was "old man was on bridge". So either the Coral Sea or our ship USS Waller errored and we almost became another USS Hobson (sank at sea when cut into by an aircraft carrier). The Coral Sea was one of only a few ships that I remembered their name. Probably very few people on the Coral Sea were knowledgeable of that 'near accident'. Normal rank of destroyer commanding officers were Commanders (three strippers) and they were 'on the bridge and in charge' during all special situations; during regular activity a junior officer with considerable experience would be OOD;  on the bridge and 'in charge'.  I enjoyed when the Captain considered me being knowledgeable and mature enough to be Officer Of Deck Underway and I thought to myself "a plow jockey from KS made it"; but I never seriously considered the Navy as a career.      Herb(GA)