[AT] OT Draft Exemption Exam

Cecil Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Mon Jan 20 22:13:07 PST 2020

I graduated high school in 70, at 16 and when the lottery came around
for me, I had a number over 300, so I did not get drafted. I had several
high school classmates that did not return.  My dad was a WWII vet, but
he told me that if I enlisted to wait until I had my degree.  I have
wished many times that I had served. Several years later I tried to
enlist in the guard so I could get helicopter training.  At the time
they had enough pilots and did not have a need for someone my age.
Since I was a state employee and knew several of the guard pilots, I
could have pushed things a little and got in.  I had just built my house
and was in the middle of getting the farm back in order so I had to put
that on hold....
Cecil