[AT] tractor hauler a pain to install headlights.

Ken Knierim ken.knierim at gmail.com
Sun Jan 19 12:15:00 PST 2020

Steve, thanks for the link. My Google-fu is apparently weak; I haven't seen
that this website before.
I will say that I've seen city buses (through whatever contract company has
it lately) and refuse trucks (City of Phoenix, Town of Gilbert) running
retrofit LED lamp assemblies (they use a lot of Peterbilt trucks, some new,
some not) which helped me get started on this path; several are listed as
DOT compliant on heavy trucks (noting that they don't claim to be OK on
passenger vehicles using the same lighting equipment). What I've read in
that document link you sent (so far in my reading) lumps trucks, buses and
passenger vehicles all together.

I also spent a fair amount of time aligning the lights better than they
ever were with the old halogen and incandescent lamps (of which were
dubious quality on a good day). I purchased a cheapo light meter for the
project as well (Urceri MT-912) and will see if it's calibrated enough to
verify light standards at the distances in the document. I do believe that
any inspection depends on attitude of the individual and blinding a police
officer isn't a good start to it so I've been careful to make sure the aim
point is not offensive. I wish the new vehicles would fit this description
but they don't always.

Thanks again,

Ken in AZ