[AT] OT Massey Ferguson Edgewood Maryland

Mark Johnson markjohnson100 at centurylink.net
Sun Jan 19 05:44:42 PST 2020

My dad would have been eligible for this one - I don't know if he ever
collected. [US Army 1950-1952, drafted post-college].

He spent the majority of his hitch in the DC area, teaching Gas and
Diesel engine mechanics at Ft. Belvoir. He also claimed to be the only
person who ever drove through the tunnel under the Pentagon BACKWARDS.
He was taking a buddy back to the base late on a Sunday night, and there
was next to no traffic. He went back to the "scene of the crime" many
times in his last few months and never did figure out how he managed to
ignore all the "wrong way" signs!

The old man wisely declined the offer of a battlefield commission - he
could have been a 2nd Lt. but the price was an immediate trip to Korea.
Instead, he mustered out 5 days (or so) short of making sergeant. I
guess he decided it was safer to risk having socket wrenches thrown at
him in a mechanical classroom than shells with much higher energy. I
might not be here had he decided otherwise. <no smiley here>.

Tractor related: I still remember helping my dad and a neighborhood
master mechanic (in every sense of the word) heat up the main reduction
gear of a JD 730, which was fitted on the output shaft with
'interference fit' - we boiled it in a tub of motor oil for an hour to
get the thing ready to put on the shaft. Never had a problem with the
transmission after that.

Mark J
Columbia MO