[AT] OT Massey Ferguson Edgewood Maryland

Cecil Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Thu Jan 16 12:38:47 PST 2020

I said earlier that AGCO was the worst thing to hit farm machinery in
the last 50 years.  I stand by that.  Years ago I read some statements
by the early CEO of Agco.  He said that it did not matter where a
tractor was built, as long as the factory met the specs and delivered on
time.   You are looking at lowest bidder factory .    A model may be
made in China last year and this year the same model is made by a
factory in Korea or India or Timbuktu.

I have several milling machines here that I bought 20 years ago. They
were originally sold by the Summit machine tool company. They were
originally built in China.   Summit would bring the machines in to the
OKC factory and strip all the wiring and controls out of them and
replace with Square D or Siemens controls and new wiring harnesses were
hand built.  I bought 6 machines that were cannibalized to get the dials
for some other machines. The dials were custom made to fit the oddball
thread that was on the machine.  I bought new standard dials for a
machine, then found that the travel in a complete turn was not what the
dials showed.  To get the mills to work with the dials I need to get new
acme thread screws and build nut assemblies to fit.  I have 6 milling
machines that look to be the same model, but they have slight
differences.   The buyer for Summit told me that many times these
machines were built in a "backyard "and then hauled to a "factory" for
painting.  After setting in the barn for 10 years, the body putty is
beginning to flake off where they smoothed off the castings.    It
appears that the castings were cast in a pit much as church and school
bells were cast back in the early days.   The iron was melted in a
charcoal fired furnace. Somewhere I have some old books on casting with
charcoal and a pit...
Cecil