[AT] OT robot apple pickers

James Peck jamesgpeck at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 12 20:38:50 PST 2020

I used to socialize with a fellow and his family that was going through the same graduate accounting program as my ex . His first job as a BS Business Administration graduate had been managing an upstate NY apple orchard. His ambition was to get into apple growing. I wonder how that worked out for him.

He went to work for a big 8 accounting firm in upstate NY. He hoped to use the job income to buy land and plant it in apple trees. A robot apple picker would mean a small apple growing operation would not be limited in size by the amount of apples that that one or a few men could pick.

My grandfather got his first orchard by buying land, planting trees,  and working in a sawmill until the trees came into bearing.

The invention of the combine meant small dairy farmers did not have to spend half the summer working on a threshing cooperative crew in order to get their wheat threshed.

Carl Gogol Manlius NY AT List member (cgogol1971 at gmail.com); Just wondering James, What and where (any state) is anything harvested or milked these days without a high content or immigrant labor?  Not sure I understand your statement, immigrant labor is everywhere as I see it.

James AT List Member (jamesgpeck at hotmail.com); The area I grew up in lost many of its apple orchards due to Washington state which harvests apples with immigrant labor. Will robot apple harvesters bring back apple growing nationwide?

https://www.agequipmentintelligence.com/articles/3529-kubota-invests-in-us-harvesting-robot-maker

https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:6621786893652676608/