[AT] Gearbox help

Aaron Dickinson a_dickinson at att.net
Tue Jan 7 11:09:37 PST 2020

From an expense standpoint, I would think it would be cheaper to replace the gear than build up the pillow block sprocket setup, plus having the enclosed gearbox for cleanliness/safety.

Aaron Dickinson

Mason, Mi

From: Gunnells, Brad R
Sent: ‎Tuesday‎, ‎January‎ ‎7‎, ‎2020 ‎9‎:‎52‎ ‎AM
To: Antique Tractor Email Discussion Group

This is semi-tractor related. I have a log splitter my dad built many years ago that is 3 point mounted that runs off the tractor PTO. This past weekend as I was splitting some firewood I heard some knocking (thought it was tractor at first). Got everything shut down and started looking things over and come to find the gearbox on the splitter was the issue.

Dad picked this gearbox up at an auction probably 35 years ago so have no idea what it may have been used on. This gearbox has a selector to run it 1:1 or 6:1. We use the 6:1 ratio to up the speed of the PTO to the hydraulic pump. Allows the tractor to run just above idle.

Would anyone have any thoughts on where someone might find a reasonably priced replacement for something like this? I’ve also thought I could probably replicate it with pillow block bearings and shaft with some chain sprockets. Make a chain drive that gives a similar change in ration. I have a suspicion we may be over driving the pump at 6:1 so maybe something more like 4:1 would also be better for longevity of the pump.

I’m trying to add pics for reference as well.

Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

Brad