[AT] OT Roxor does not meet highway safety standards was tractor hauler a pain to install headlights.

James Peck jamesgpeck at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 19 17:38:20 PST 2020

I recently drove by the location where Mahindra assembles the Roxor from largely imported parts, an early Jeep look-a-like. They can't sell it as an on-road vehicle because it does not meet federal safety standards. We'll see if they get it street legal by lawsuit or by design modification.

This headlight alignment equipment site mentions state inspection facilities. I remember them.

http://lujanusa.com/sniper/sniper_detail.htm

Ken Knierim AT List Member (ken.knierim at gmail.com); <snip> I also spent a fair amount of time aligning the lights better than they ever were with the old halogen and incandescent lamps (of which were dubious quality on a good day). I purchased a cheapo light meter for the project as well (Urceri MT-912) and will see if it's calibrated enough to verify light standards at the distances in the document. <snip>

Steve W. AT List Member and Sun machine owner (swilliams268 at frontier.com); Federal laws cover the lighting and states that any lamps other than the OEM approved light source are illegal. None of the LED retrofits are legal for highway use in the US. Doesn't matter what the packaging says.That is part of the standard that says each lamp housing must be designed around a particular light source. IE you make a reflector that uses a halogen lamp, that is the only legal replacement lamp for that housing.

The states generally don't enforce it though, however if you were to drive past a cop and your lights blind them, you will get cited. Then they may take a closer look.

This is the full code. If you want to know the federal stance on it.
https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?node=se49.6.571_1108