[AT] OT tractor component casting was For tech-weary Midwest farmers, 40-year-old tractors now a hot commodity - StarTribune.com

James Peck jamesgpeck at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 12 05:34:53 PST 2020

The Cleveland State University Metallurgical Engineering program was terminated due to a trough in enrollment in 1978. The number of students dipped below the number of instructional staff A mini economic boom led prospective students to get jobs without the education.

Ford's Cleveland Casting Plant was converted to aluminum in the era when Ford was supplying aluminum engines to Jaguar.

FWIW: In the eighties, an auto parts store I frequented had a fleet of aluminum block Vegas they used for deliveries to their commercial customers. They had sleeved the engines.

Bradford AT List Member (bloomis at charter.net); http://www.startribune.com/for-tech-weary-midwest-farmers-40-year-old-tractors-now-a-hot-commodity/566737082/? I was speaking with an acquaintance this morning who teaches Material Engineering at Cal Poly SLO. I asked about his recent trip to Iowa, did six weeks a NIU? Apparently he teaches casting, probably from the metallurgical standpoint. He mentioned he had visited several foundries in the area, JD and affiliated, I assume. With the recent discussion on casting parts here I got interested. Didn't have time to elaborate, but I did find out that there are 57 foundries in California. Hard to imagine with all the pollution controls.
Bradford