[AT] OT- Computer help please

cgs oxygenfarm at gmail.com
Tue Feb 18 08:17:12 PST 2020

I posted about this discussion on the Mint discussion group:

          'old tractor guys find Linux
          <https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?p=1764428#p1764428>

    I subscribe to at at lists.antique-tractor.com
    <mailto:at at lists.antique-tractor.com> which is a discussion forum
    for those who use and enjoy old tractors. Some have working farms;
    others are the weekend variety, like me; all appreciate value.
    Recently there have been questions (and answers) for these
    down-to-earth folks who just want something that works well....like
    their old tractors and old computers.
    Here's a recent comment: "No reason to buy anything, Most
    distributions of Linux will read Windows files. You can copy, paste
    move etc. and you can download anything for free. I don't putter
    with old stuff as much as I used to .... If you install Linux as a
    dual boot with Windows you can just access your Windows files
    without having to reboot back into Windows to find them or work with
    them."
    I've recommended Mint Mate for its performance and ease of use.'

<https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=312535#top>
And received this comment from the Netherlands:

    'Where I live, lots of people own tractors as well, including
    antique ones.... Some farmer sons even drive on their tractors to
    high school, because of the lower minimum age level for a tractor
    driver's license. When my children were still on high school, a few
    classmates of my children did that regularly. Good advice you gave
    them. The Xfce edition is probably an even better option for very
    old machines.'
    <https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=312535#top>

--

Charlie