[AT] SC Case with Hopto backhoe

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 15 20:48:20 PST 2020

My folks bought this farm in the spring of 1951 and we lived here maybe 2
years with only hand pumps on the wells. We had quite a bit of livestock
and pumped A LOT of water until we got the place plumbed. The guy that dug
in the lines to the first two barns used a Hopto hoe and it was PTO driven.
He was pulling it with a "Custom" tractor made here in Shelbyville Indiana
which had no hydraulics at all let alone enough to power that hoe. I saw
one of those old Hopto diggers maybe a year or so ago sitting for sale at
the intersection of Indiana St. Rd. 9 and US - 52. I never stopped and
looked  at it, I was afraid it might be affordable.  :-)
The next guy that dug a ditch here later had an old army truck with a hoe
attached to the back of it. The guy after that had a trencher and a front
blade mounted on an old jeep.
Those old original lines have been abandoned for some time now, too rusty
to repair. I've replaced them with plastic. Even the plastic that went in
in the mid 1950's is still like new.

.

.

On Sat, Feb 15, 2020 at 8:05 PM James Peck <jamesgpeck at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I can’t remember how the backhoe coupled to the tractor. It had an axle
> with wheel on either side. It may have been driven by the PTO.
>

> https://tractors.fandom.com/wiki/Hopto
>

> I had a neighbor who had a wide front chicken roost Case that he normally
> used with a Hopto backhoe. I had not yet developed the habit of reading and
> remembering equipment model numbers. I do remember it being hooked up to
> one of my father's PTO driven orchard sprayers. Could it have been an SC?
>

> The link does not mention draft control but it does mention Eagle Hitch.
>

> http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/000/4/5/454-ji-case-sc-photos.html

Francis Robinson
aka "farmer"
Central Indiana USA