[AT] Using shipping containers for tractor storage

James Peck jamesgpeck at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 14 06:42:10 PST 2020

Is there a distance limitation on the free underground service?

I am familiar with a situation where the landowner ran conduit underground from a meter on the rear corner of his house roughly 200 feet to a pole and up the pole to a weather head. He put the PVC conduit together and the cable in it on the ground. He slid it all into the trench leaving the weather head end waving around. He got a moonlighting fellow with climbing spurs to go up the pole and use a rope hoisting block to pull the weather head end of the conduit to the pole while he pushed from below. They anchored the conduit to the pole by installing one hole straps from a ladder. He paid for his part of the process.

The length of conduit coming out of the ground had to be Schedule 40 as a protection from vehicle crashes against the pole.

The electrical compony sent out a line truck and they worked in a boom to connect the cables to the existing transformer. The utility paid for that.

Carl Gogol Kubota Fan Manlius NY AT List member (cgogol1971 at gmail.com); Camping is not our thing, but it is the perfect solution path for getting power close to the container(s).  There are electric transmission lines across the property and Dominion Energy previously told me that there is no upfront cost to me for underground service installation, in this case perhaps 1000' from the lines.  Likely to require setting a couple of 6x6 poles and plywood but a minor investment.  It's a use they probably are familiar with and preferable to telling them I want to occasionally power some lights and tools in a container.
I was once told by a UL electrical code representative,  "We only care about the outlet, what gets plugged into it is not our concern".