[AT] Standard Ricardo Injection tubing

Thomas Martin tmartin at xtra.co.nz
Sun Feb 9 22:23:56 PST 2020

Well it doesn't get any better! :-(

> On 10 February 2020 at 16:58 James Peck <jamesgpeck at hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>     Unit injectors are what EMD injectors  are called. I remember them going near a camshaft. I do not remember the rocker but we would not want the lobe touching something other than a roller. One virtue of a unit injector is that it is an injector nozzle and pump in one device. They do not need high pressure fuel line tubing.One thing I remember about unit injectors was that they eliminated unequal pressure buildup times in unequal length fuel line.

In actuality EMD injectors are called unit pump injectors as the pump comes first.

I suppose that's why manufacturers strive to have equal length injector "pipes", the length of fuel lines is immaterial.

>     The last time I touched a locomotive I was working for an EMD competitor and EMD had not been able to meet emissions with a  2 stroke. Locomotives are not what I wanted to spend my life doing.

Really? When was that? Did the competitor usurp EMD as the major railroad supplier?

No need of a link, I was overhauling GM diesels back in the 60s, now I deal with the 710

series in super yachts.

>     https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unit_injector
>

>     At the time the Standard Ricardo 23C was designed the UK was still on the inch system, although with an entirely different set of thread standards than the US. Are you saying that the 23C was built with metro fuel injector tubing assemblies and fittings. Could be for all I know. Do you? Did it use inch or metric tubing sizes? The critical thing is to match the threads at either end.

The original Standard diesel as fitted to Ferguson tractors was not fitted with a Ricardo cylinder head, that came later.

The standard threads of that time would have been of the Unified Series UNF & UNC.

Those who have wondered a the large U cast into the David Brown tractor castings, need wonder no more!

Standard did not make the fuel injection equipment fitted to the engine, CAV did.

All British-built fuel injection used metric threads on the injector lines, It  was a carry over from licensing agreements with Bosch of Germany.

What thread do you think spark plugs have used the last 100 years?

What sized bearings have American autos used in their transmissions the last 100 years?

On the Continent the standard water pipe threads are British Standard Pipe, BSP.

>     You seem to be using much bluster and little  fact in your side of the discussion. Do you have a financial gain that makes one option more attractive? Did you grow up in an inch country and have a fear of metric?

Really?

James, you're one strange dude! You have a very superficial knowledge of things mechanical, but by copying and pasting urls garnered on the 'net, into your posts, you believe it adds verisimilitude to your statements and/or knowledge?  It doesn't, by the way.

Imperial/ Metric who cares, I have micrometer in both systems.

On the Continent the standard water pipe threads are British Standard Pipe, BSP. Apologies for the non sequitur. :-)

>     Tubing is manufactured in various sizes, wall thicknesses, materials, harnesses, and in seamed or seamless styles. I am not aware of other factors that would cause tubing to be designated for hydraulic use only. What distinguishes "fuel line" tubing from "hydraulic" tubing in your mind. If it is sold by a fuel injection service shop it is "fuel line" tubing? I used to see 20 foot long bundles of a particular size of tubing come in on a semitrailer.

Just because you aren't aware doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Hydraulic tubing is rated for in excess of 2000-10,000 psi depending on size and wall thickness. The more fuel line  is sold for use in a suction environment than is used for pressure and then 50 psi or less

would be norm. A clue: Injector pipes are not made out of fuel line.

>     Even automobile OEM manufacturers of hose and tubing assemblies start with raw tube from a supplier. The fuel injection service companies buy the tube and fittings from suppliers to make up the assemblies.   If the tube or fittings are not available they may only be able to repair the leaking tube assemblies.

Tube Service Co of California is one of the best companies in the US for tubing: https://www.tubeservice.com/Content/Alloy.pdf

See if you find anything suitable there.

>     DIY spark plug are not a good analogy. DIY spark plug wire kits used to sold. I never liked them. Too hard to get them water tight.

I said diy spark plugs

>     The options as I see them are:
>
>         * Locate 23C tube assemblies for sale thar are pre bent for use with glow plugs
>         * Re-bend the existing 23C tube assemblies per Carl's suggestions so they do not leak.
>         * Locate 23C tube assemblies for sale that are not bent to clear glow plugs and rework them to clear glow plugs so they do not leak.
>         * Get Mr. Dixon who adds glow plugs to 23C heads to fabricate  a set of tube assemblies. Developing the procedures to add glow plugs may mean he can fabricate the fuel lines that fit.
>         * Get the thread sizes for the fittings on the existing tubes, sketch up fittings with the fittings and tube that go in between. A different type of tube to fitting seal may have to be used such as flared or reverse flared. Assemble them yourself.
>         * Get a fuel injection service shop to bend up a new set of fuel tubes with new fittings on either end.
>         * Get a fuel injection service shop to bend up a new set of fuel tubes with reused fittings on either end.

So, now you're a Monday Morning quarterback?

>     I would guess that the need to replace fuel tube assemblies has come up in the past on diesel tractor restorations. Thar probably adds more weight to the options that only replace the tubing portion of the fuel line assemblies.
>
>      Gee!

 Tom