[AT] Ford Motives

James Peck jamesgpeck at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 6 22:53:12 PST 2020

I agree that the scotch yoke drive and  the Ferguson system pump work together to give a robust system that will work as designed. Ford initially used that design on the 8N their than create their own. A year ago I could have given a link to a diagram. https://www.tractorforum.com/threads/problems-with-mf-231-hydraulic-valve-selector.42997/

I did work on a project with PTO mounted piston pumps in a mobile application. Those pumps required an always positive inlet pressure. We had to use temperature sensors to only allow the pumps to turn when the reservoir oil was warm enough to maintain that inlet pressure at full flow. We had a pump mounted on the transmission PTO to heat the reservoir. I will probably have a lifetime uneasiness about suction on the inlet to a hydraulic pump.

You are correct that I read my email and reply, based on my schedule, to some of it. John Maddock and I had had a discussion in the old Ford-Ferguson subgroup in which he said that Ford was the better tractor. I puzzled over that for several years. When the Ford NAA was introduced it likely had a better hydraulic system than the TE and TO tractors of the era.

The NAA mounted the pump outside the tractor cavity. Eliminating the PTO shaft drive of the hydraulic pump was something that was done to comply with the ford Ferguson settlement. Ferguson had that backwards. They forced Ford into a significant improvement.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=hydraulic+pummp+mounting+location+on+ford+naa&docid=607988354344749238&mid=44387FFF29ED770758F144387FFF29ED770758F1&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

Group problem solving training can include each person restating his understanding in his own words until a consensus is reached.

Long comprehensive articles do not accomplish as much as several short focused ones.

Thomas Martin AT List Member (tmartin at xtra.co.nz);  Hi James What is you fixation with Ford & Ferguson fueled by?

James <snip> "The Ferguson System regulated flow of hydraulic fluid into the pump inlet. When I was working with hydraulic pumps that was a big no-no." <snip>