[AT] Super M hard to start

Stephen Offiler soffiler at gmail.com
Thu Feb 6 05:07:00 PST 2020

Fresh fuel is important (for a number of reasons) but here my main point is
that "winter fuel" is literally a different blend from the refinery which
has a higher volatility than "summer fuel".

Strong spark at the right time is also important.

Choke (mixture enrichment) is necessary on a cold engine because fuel
condenses out of the mix when it hits cold surfaces and results in lean
mixture.  Too much cranking without firing leaves a lot of raw gas sloshing
around.  For this reason, it might be best to use low-ish throttle settings
on a cold engine.

I cheat with an unlit propane torch in the intake stream.  Propane doesn't
condense to liquid on cold surfaces (not much anyway) and it also has a
pretty wide combustible range vs gasoline.

Steve O.