[AT] Super M hard to start

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 5 18:24:59 PST 2020

Hi Dean:
My Super M and Super MTA both tend to be cold natured at start up and when
working hard prone to dieseling at shut down. Both have thin-wall sleeves
and oversized pistons. To start up "cold" I typically open the throttle
maybe about 5 % or less and use the choke heavily. For the dieseling I keep
the idle speed backed off so that the throttle plate shuts completely when
I shove the lever all the way forward. I keep a small paint mark on the
quadrant back a few notches as an idling setting. They can't diesel if they
can't get any fuel.  :-)  It has always served me well.

.

On Wed, Feb 5, 2020 at 8:29 PM Dean Vinson <dean at vinsonfarm.net> wrote:

> My Super M is hard to start in cold weather.   It always does start,
> eventually, but if the weather is cold it’ll take maybe five or six or
> eight attempts, with each one resulting in a few pops or a second or two of
> running before it dies.   I always think I just need to find the right
> amount of choke vs throttle, but I don’t know whether I’m really finding it
> or whether the engine just gets warmed up enough by the repeated attempts
> that finally it settles down and is just plain ready to start.   In warm
> weather it typically fires right up with no hesitation.
>

> 12 volt battery is well charged, and a few years ago I had the starter
> rewound for 12 volts, so there’s no shortage of cranking power and it turns
> the engine over nice and fast (but not crazy fast like it used to with the
> 12V battery on the original 6-volt starter).
>

> It does have pretty high compression, resulting I assume from a rebuild
> shortly before I bought the tractor ten years or so ago, and which helps it
> put out about 55 hp on the dyno.  I can’t remember the compression numbers
> right now, but I remember checking compression after buying the tractor and
> thinking “Wow, those are some high numbers, and all four cylinders are just
> about dead-on equal.”   When hot the engine typically diesels at shut-down
> unless I let it sit and idle for several minutes, so I’m wondering if the
> hard cold starting is related.
>

> Anybody have similar experiences or recommendations?   The other thing I
> was wondering is if maybe the non sequitur is out of adjustment, but I
> can’t find the factory specs for it in the service manual.
>

> Dean Vinson
>
> Saint Paris, Ohio

Francis Robinson
aka "farmer"