[AT] Ford Cork was OT don't take any Buffalo Nickels

James Peck jamesgpeck at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 8 19:11:02 PST 2020

When the Irish Free State was created in 1922, Henry Ford closed down Fordson Model F production in Cork. There were armed factions fighting for control of the Free State for a while after.  I believe Ford Cork sat idle until production of the Fordson Model F was shut down at the Rouge Complex in 1928. Fordson production resumed at Cork after a delay to set up the line but was moved to England in 1932. After that Ford autos were made in Cork until 1984?

The majority of the population in the six counties that were partitioned into Northern Ireland opposed devolvement. Harry reportedly aided that effort by participation in a paramilitary. Belfast, at the time of partition, was the industrial area of Ireland.  I figure Harry had lived over half his life in Ireland before partition occurred. Ireland still considers him to be a native son.

The creation of the Free State may have been what stopped John Deere from shipping Overtime tractors to sell. Harry sold a total of 250 Overtimes to all of Ireland and travelled to every one of the farms. Great story!

https://www.farmersjournal.ie/the-overtime-tractor-story-in-ireland-212414