[AT] OT don't take any Buffalo Nickels

James Peck jamesgpeck at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 7 09:20:51 PST 2020

I listen to the NPR radio station locally and in the other places I have lived. Do not take that as a political statement. I simply hear things discussed that I do not hear elsewhere. I have heard them discuss a shadowy intelligence sharing process conducted among the countries of US, UK, Canada, Australia, and NZ. That probably requires some language standardization.

Elsewhere I heard of a broadcasting organization that was working to standardize broadcast English worldwide. Someone once told me that English is used as the language of Air Traffic Control worldwide.

The book “Albion’s Seed” discusses four dialect variations of English brought to America and established as regional dialects. Harry Ferguson came from an area of Europe that supplied one of those immigration streams.

Ralph Goff in Saskatchewan AT List Member (alfg at sasktel.net); Although people use the term "buffalo" on our plains bison, it is a misnomer according to Wikipedia and Britannica.
https://www.britannica.com/story/whats-the-difference-between-bison-and-buffalo

James AT List Member (jamesgpeck at hotmail.com); Bison is the French word for the animal. Using Bison as the English word also makes things much easier in a bilingual English/French country.

https://en.bab.la/dictionary/english-french/bison