[AT] Teflon tape hydraulic system??

bradloomis at charter.net bradloomis at charter.net
Mon Dec 14 06:01:05 PST 2020

I was taught and still DON’T use Teflon tape on gases. Southern California Gas Co. was adamant against for all the reasons people have mentioned here. A run away gas valve on a furnace, water heater, whatever due to a hunk of tape stuck on a seat isn’t a pretty thought. Rare as it was, it was enough for me to only use on liquids. Actually Teflon, applied as per one previous poster, starting two threads back coupled with Teflon pipe dope has been what I and most of the pro plumbers I’m around use. As one who did commercial refrigeration service for decades, you’d be amazed at what I’ve seen people use. Like an entire roll on 1, ¾” PVC fitting. ☹

Brad