[AT] New Subject -- Tower Hose Clamps

Brian VanDragt bvandragt at comcast.net
Fri Dec 4 18:12:33 PST 2020

I have them on a 70LP on the hose between the converter and carburetor. If it leaks it is not visible like a coolant leak would be. As a member of the correct police, I would at least try them. Maybe new clamps work better than the old rusty ones you have dealt with.Brian
-------- Original message --------From: Dean VP <deanvp at att.net> Date: 12/4/20  8:42 PM  (GMT-05:00) To: 'Antique Tractor Email Discussion Group' <at at lists.antique-tractor.com> Subject: [AT] New Subject -- Tower Hose Clamps This is going to be humorous to some of you.  This is a real nit-picky thingthat only the “correct police” would discuss.  When I took my 1935 JD Bapart to get to the Head I had to remove the upper and lower water pipesthat go from the Cylinder Block and Head to the Radiator. There are tworubber hose 2 ¾” OD sections of around 4” to 5”  that have to be removed toget the metal pipes out. Kind of a PITA if the hoses are old.   Anyway whileremoving the rubber sections that were held in place by the common usedscrew band clamps used all over the place today. So when I removed them Imade a mental mote to myself. that when I had time to look up in the PartsCatalog what type of hose clamp was used in the tractor originally. I didknow the type we use today was not right. My guess was the two wire typewere used. Wrong. Turns out that Wittek Tower Hose Clamps were used. #40 orFBA 40 2 3/4”  I’ve run into these a few times when parting out a tractorand found them next to impossible to work with.  I/H used them as well inthis era. One can still get these from Steiner Tractor Parts:https://www.steinertractor.com/IHS642?crawlparam&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzfDwj_S07QIVQ928Ch0hWQC-EAEYASABEgIVtPD_BwEorhttps://tinyurl.com/y6jcvon5So what hose clamp am I going to use when I put the 1935 B back together? Ido know what was on it, the current SS screw band,  is incorrect even to ancasual observer.   Before I learned all this I had thought about just usingthe two wire and screw setup that was used in years past as well but wasn’toriginal on the 1935B.  Intuitively the Tower Hose Clamps look like they maybe a PITA since they have limited adjustment range.   So here is myquestion.  I would use the Tower type if and only if they aren’t a real PITAto install and keep the connections from leaking. If they are, I’ll just goto the two wire hose clamps because I know they work well.  THE QUESTION:Anyone out there in ATIS land have experience with the Tower type hoseclamps that would be willing to share their knowledge on the subject athand.  Comments and suggestions are encouraged and welcomed.Dean VPApache Junction, AZ_______________________________________________AT mailing listAT at lists.antique-tractor.comhttp://lists.antique-tractor.com/listinfo.cgi/at-antique-tractor.com