[AT] Portland Ind. Show

szabelski at wildblue.net szabelski at wildblue.net
Wed Aug 26 06:31:30 PDT 2020

When I was a den leader in the Boy Scouts, they had a tradition of letting the Scouts who were earning their Eagle Badge build and light the last night’s bonfire at the Scout camp. We had all the scouts gathered at the ceremony arena and everybody was excited about doing their skits, dances, etc. as part of the ceremony. The Scouts earning their Eagle Badge decided that they were going to build the biggest fire ever and made a huge pile of wood. What the people running the camp didn’t know was that the guys had also figured out how to make some napalm that they sprinkled all over the wood . When they threw the torch into the big pile of wood there was a tremendous roar, and everybody had to run out of the arena and wait for the flames to die down. The heat from the fire was really something. Nobody was hurt, but it was decided later that the camp councilors would build the bonfires from then on.

Carl