[AT] OT-Ground bees

szabelski at wildblue.net szabelski at wildblue.net
Sat Aug 22 17:08:33 PDT 2020

Steve,

Next time cut the grass with a gasoline powered mower, leave it running over the nest when they start to come out.😜

Actually, that may not work. They seem to know that the created vacuum isn’t normal and may not leave the hole. Maybe they sense it as a high wind and won’t fly(???).

I once had a nest in the overhang where they found a gap to get in. I took my shop vac and banged on the side of the house to get them to come out. Some did and the vacuum took care of them. After a while I could see them coming to the edge of the gap but they wouldn’t come out until I moved the hose extension away (had about four extensions ganged together). I waited until the sun started to go down and put the hose near the gap. As the day crew started to return to the nest I was able to catch most of them before they made it into gap. Did this for 2 - 3 days, figuring I’d eventually get them all. Not a chance. When I opened the overhang there were still plenty in there. Took the vacuum and sucked them and the nest out.

When I was done for the day I just sprayed wasp/hornet spray into the hose inlet and let it sit overnight.

You’d be surprised at how hard their heads are. As they got sucked into the hose, I could hear their heads hitting the sides of the hose all the way into the vacuum. Sounded like I was vacuuming up gravel.

When I was younger, being stung didn’t bother me much, but now I swell up pretty good. Last time I got stung it was on the wrist and my it swelled up pretty good and was really red for a while.

Carl