[AT] Engine oil

Steve W. swilliams268 at frontier.com
Mon Aug 17 09:23:27 PDT 2020

Spencer Yost wrote:
> Antique tractor reference:  I store my tractors in a shop building with
> lots of big metal objects and concrete floors that moderate temperature
> swings in the shop.  So the tractor engines never get below freezing
> except a few times a year when it’s so cold I read books instead of
> driving tractors.  So I use straight 30w.   I just don’t work them in
> temperatures where a multi weight would be helpful.  Plus it’s
> convenient since all my smaller engines use straight 30 too.   I use the
> Rotella 15-40w in my diesel Ford 861
>
> Way off topic:   I was low on oil one day a LONG time ago and my insert
> style oil spout for oil cans must have been “forever borrowed“ or lost
> or driven over or whatever.  Can’t remember.     So on the way to the
> local auto parts to get oil I pulled off at the surplus/junk store for
> the spout.   So then on to the auto parts store.
>
> When I got there I was met with:  plastic bottles. (-;
>
> I still have that spout on top of one of the small cabinets I use for
> nuts/bolts/etc.  It remains  unused with its surplus store price tag.  A
> whole 99 cents.
>
> To tell you how poor i was it or how long ago (or both) this was,  I
> probably saved a whole dollar buying the spout at the surplus store
> instead of the auto parts store.   And that whole dollar was worth the
> extra stop.
>
> In full disclosure, I am not sure if it’s was just my brand (was always
> a Pennzoil guy) or all the oil brands had been switched out to plastic.
>  I kept the spout cause I figured i’d need it but the change to plastic
> came quick and I never bought a can of oil again.
>
> I love handing it to young people and asking them what they think it is
> for. (-;  I must admit a surprising percentage do know.
>
> Spencer

I was in the process of cleaning out my old shop a few years ago and
discovered that I had oil on the shelves from the "can" days. Back then
I would have full pallets of the odd oils drop shipped as well as the
bulk deliveries of common 10/30. Had full cases of 40 and 50 weight as
well as gear oils and transmission lubes bought just in case one rolled
in the door.

--
Steve W.