[AT] Engine oil

Steve W. swilliams268 at frontier.com
Mon Aug 17 09:18:58 PDT 2020

magreer67 wrote:
> My son runs the same 15W40 Rotella T in his 7.3 PowerStroke. He says it
> runs quieter and leaks less than the synthetic that was in it when he
> got it.

Synthetics can be good, but in older engines or really old ones it can
easily cause issues, as can running a multi-weight oil in engines built
for a straight weight oil. My H and F-20 as well as most of the older
small engines will drink oil like it was fuel if I run anything other
than a straight weight oil in them. The Cub Cadet I have even has that
warning in the book, as well as one saying not to use synthetic oil in
it because it will burn it even faster. The warnings are true as I do
run a synthetic in it during the winter, I'd rather burn some oil than
deal with hard starting and poor lubrication from a straight 30, but it
gets switched back when the mowing deck goes on.

--
Steve W.