[AT] Engine oil

Cecil Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Sat Aug 15 19:17:50 PDT 2020

John I don't know what part of the country you are in, but here in hot
and humid Oklahoma, I use straight wt oils in everything built before
2000, and multigrade for the rest.  I studied this a ferw years ago and
what I learned was that multi grade is oil that has the wt of the lower
number with viscosity improversto make it test to the upper wt when
hot.  However, our older engines don't run as hot as these later
models.  The difference between 170 degrees and 200 is a lot when using
multigrade oils.   I changed the oil in my Ingersoll 250 cfm compressor
w/ 3/71 Detroit.  I used 15W50 Mystic, I have used this brand for
years.  It was ok in the winter, but when it was 90degrees outside, It
started knocking at idle, I couldn't hear it when running at load, so no
telling how much damage it may have done.  I replaced it with 40wt and 2
qts of Lucas oil and it sounds ok now.  Still starts in winter too.   I
think that if the water temp runs at 170, then straight wt oils are to
be used.  If ti is hotter than multigrade.  Here in the hot south, 10W
oils are just too thin to start with..
Cecil