[AT] Generator operation

szabelski at wildblue.net szabelski at wildblue.net
Fri Aug 7 13:23:26 PDT 2020

Brad,

Hopefully this helps you to check out the regulator:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=II-6nOw28J8

The young lady in the video is very knowledgable about Farmall tractors, she’s done several books on them.

To me it sounds like the regulator is cutting out to soon. When the battery is charged, the one coil (assuming you have the older type with coils) that feeds the battery for charging will open and the current draw for the battery goes to zero instantly. That’s because it is either open or closed, no in between. The newer electronic regulators can allow the battery charge to slowly drop, or go to a trickle charge state, once the battery is charged or nearly charged.

17V out of the generator seems a little high to me. Usually you should only see 14V - 15V.  You only need to apply a charge of about 2V more than the battery rating in order to charge the battery. At 17V you could be causing the one coil to drop out early before the battery starts to charge. You may want to see if you can find the specs for the tractor and verify that you have the right generator with the correct size pulley.  The engine speed and the ratio of pulley sizes between the two determines how fast the generator spins. If it spins too slow, low output voltage. If it spins too fast, high output voltage.

Carl