[AT] '49 A and '51 A Updates and a New Start: the '47 B (deanvp)

Spencer Yost spencer at rdfarms.com
Wed Apr 29 14:33:16 PDT 2020

Also if you filled the tank all the way you might have had enough head pressure.

As I mentioned previously, my COVID-19 motorcycle project has been going very well. I’ve been taking it on test runs in big circles that are never far from the house.  Been running great.   However I felt vindicated today on that conservative strategy.   Shortly into the run I couldn’t down shift :-(

I managed to get down shifted to third after a lot of attempts and trying. With third I was able to get rolling again without smoking the clutch.  Came back home after rolling through stop signs since there was no way I could get this thing down shifted further.

Pulled into the garage to give it a quick inspection and found the root cause:

That stick went all the way over a bracket, Between the shift linkage crankcase/transmission housing and out another bracket and wedged tight.  You can see the other end near the muffler.    I never saw the stick on the road and don’t remember hitting one.  I don’t think I could have drove that stick in by hand.    I had to break the stick to get it out.