[AT] '49 A and '51 A Updates and a New Start: the '47 B

partzpicker partzpicker at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 26 18:06:48 PDT 2020

What works a lot better than some kind of chemical soak is heat.  Hit the plug with acetylene until you see a flash of green tint and let cool.  The plug will almost come out with your fingers.Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy Phone.
-------- Original message --------From: ustonThomas Mehrkam <tmehrkam at sbcglobal.net> Date: 4/26/20  7:51 PM  (GMT-06:00) To: Antique Tractor Email Discussion Group <at at lists.antique-tractor.com> Subject: Re: [AT] '49 A and '51 A Updates and a New Start:  the '47 B 😃Great day.Sent from AT&T Yahoo Mail on Android    On Sun, Apr 26, 2020 at 5:21 PM, STEVE ALLEN<steveallen855 at centurytel.net> wrote:   Well, gentlemen, I have some really positive updates.'49 A:We have a wheel that nearly matches.  The rim centerline is shaped differently, but the width, the tire size, and the hub are correct.  It goes tot he tire shop in the morning.  If all goes well, we should have two wheel/tire combos ready to mount by next weekend.  Then, it will be time to start the '49 for the first time in 2 years.  Shouldn't be a big issue:  it is shedded, and I drained the carb last time it ran.'51 A:Three jobs today.  We installed the new ignition switch and distributer cap.  I verified the point gap.  I verifies we had juice tot eh coil.  the, we verified we had spark at the plug.  One problem DOWN.Then, we installed the brake unit and reattached the platform.  I initially left it pretty loose till we had a chance to run it.  Two problems DOWN.Then, I pulled apart the fuel system again.  I got another sediment bowl assembly, this one with higher quality fittings and a correct size outlet--no need for the adapter.  While it was off, I blew air into the tank just to try to eliminate any loose scale around the outlet.  The new sediment bowl fills without any problem.  But the gas was still not getting to the carb.  So I pulled the fuel line off.  I blew through it, and it was not clogged.  So I pulled the fuel line off my other A to see if it would fit--it won't because the exhaust manifold is different between the two.  But I noticed something:  the loop in the new fuel line could be reoriented so as to not have any rise in it.  The new line duplicates the old line, but I have stopped trusting what used to be on the tractor.  So I reoriented the line making the loop horizontal.  Gas flowed through it and into the carb.  Three problems DOWN.Well, now the question is:  will it start?  And the answer is:  YES!  It did!  We let him warm up a bit, and then we went for a drive up and down the road (the yard is standing water from the last three days of rain).  I ran through 1 - 4 and R; we'll get to 5 & 6 later.   No odd noises or behavior.  When we got it back in the drive way, it idled rough, so I adjusted the screw to smooth it out.  All three gauges work--good oil pressure, temps got up almost to 200, and the generator charges, at least some.  We gave the old guy a thorough lube--had to replace a Zerk.  The oil passages in the generator need to be cleaned out.  There is a bit of a drip in one water hose--need to try to tighten a clamp.  The shutters work, but need to pull the sheet metal and lube them up.  The PowrTrol was really low--put in 2 qts and it is still not  coming out the check hole.  Need to get more oil and grease.  We'll change the crankcase oil after using it a couple times.We adjusted the refurbed brake for the next outing.  If the weather holds, we might get to do some work next weekend.In any case, we also tore down the carb on the '47 B.  Crud!  Crud!  Crud!  Everything came apart except the bass screw in the bowl stem.  Its slot is chewed up pretty good.  I will try a pair of vice grips on it after it soaks some--we bought one of those cans of chemical dip:  the main body is in it for now.  The rest will follow as time permits.  We have a complete kit, parts of several others, the necessary drill bits, and a video from the company to help guide us (as well as the manual).  Anyway, a long note to say we're just about out of these woods!  Once again, I appreciate all the advice and help.  I share a video, but I don't think the list will accept them.  No doubt, there will be more issues to discuss, but this project took a BIG leap forward today, and we are happy and grateful.The "original" Steve Allen_______________________________________________AT mailing listAT at lists.antique-tractor.comhttp://lists.antique-tractor.com/listinfo.cgi/at-antique-tractor.com